Sometimes you just need a glamorous cookie that is easy to customize for a party or holiday. This is that cookie. My Sparkle Cookies are easy to make and taste delicious. I saw recipes for cookies using the long sprinkles and I thought they would be even better with little dot sprinkles! And colored sugar! I was correct.
These are deceptively straight forward cookies. Mix the dry ingredients together with a whisk, then mix the wet ingredients together with a whisk, they carefully mix them together so you don’t floof flour everywhere. Then fold in the dot sprinkles in the color motif of your choice with a spatula.
Scoop out little balls of dough with a cookie scoop and dip or roll each one in the colored sugar. Set them evenly spaced on the baking sheet.
I did not chill these long at all. I put each pan in the fridge for as long as it took for me to get the dough balls on the next pan, then the fridge pan went in the oven and the just finished forming dough balls pan went in the fridge.
I baked them 8 minutes, turned the pan and baked another 2 minutes, and that was perfect in my oven. Watch yours and make a note of what the perfect time is for your oven. You will thank yourself the next time you go to bake these cookies.
Let the cookies sit on the pan to cool while the next pan is baking, then move them onto a cooling rack to cool the rest of the way. You want that last little baking time they get sitting on the hot pan. If you try to move them early, they’ll break apart and be a mess.
I really like how the sparkle dots are visible throughout the cookie. And the glittery sprinkles on top make these stand out in the cookie crowd.
These can be made to suit any holiday or party by using a different color scheme. I used these sprinkle dots and color sugar from a set that had spring colors. You can pick up different colors depending on the season and store them for the future. They last a LONG time if stored in a cool, dry place.
Have you made them yet? What colors did you use? Share in the comments!
Bethany’s Sparkle Cookies
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup butter unsalted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup sprinkles
- 1/2 cup colored sugar for dipping
- Whisk together, in a large bowl, the flour, cornstarch, cream of tartar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a second bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the vanilla and almond extract and the egg to the creamed ingredients and combine well.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet ingredients slowly.
- Add the sprinkles to the batter and fold in.
- Using a 1.75″ cookie scoop, scoop balls of cookie dough from the bowl and roll or dip each one in the colored sugar.
- Place your finished cookie dough ball onto a baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat. Leave a couple of inches between balls. I fit 12 per sheet.
- Chill the cookie dough balls in the fridge on the sheet for 15 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes, until edges are set. Do not over bake.
- Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet about 10 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack to finish cooling.