I created this recipe when my first son was little. I wanted to turn corn fritters into a healthy side that could be a main dish for a selective toddler. I asked Rebekah to cook them and add a better seasoning profile, and she (and Thatcher) did a fantastic job. They are perfect now.
Black Bean Corn Fritter with Zucchini
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 can cream-style corn
- 1 can low-sodium black beans
- 1 medium zucchini shredded, moisture squeezed out
- 3 large carrots shredded, enough to equal amount of zucchini
- 1 large red pepper diced small
- 4-6 green onion chopped
- 1/2 cup nut meal; almond, walnut, etc
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together. If the mixture is too soupy, add more nut meal.
- Fry at medium heat in a skillet or at 350 degrees in a table-top skillet. Use a scoop to get even fritters. Cook on the first side until easy to flip, then turn and cook second side.
- 1 batch makes about 40 fritters 3-4 inches in diameter. This recipe doubles and tripples just fine, so make extra! Reheat in the microwave or freeze in a gallon zip bag and reheat later.